[ExI] Essential Upload Data

Re Rose rocket at earthlight.com
Sat May 23 02:06:31 UTC 2020

Stuart, you hit the nail on the head! Yes, evolution is inextricably tied
to error rate, and DNA transcription enzymes allowing a particular error
rate (which varies from organism to organism) IS indeed a feature not a
bug! Many have written on this, Manfred Eigen derived specific error rates
that led to the so-called "error catastrophe".

Ben, I don't think anyone (and certainly I did not mean to imply) said
evolution is a "perfect" system. It is a damn good one though, and I am not
awfully interested in getting away from it as "soon as possible" (what a
great way to accidently break biochemistry) but I am in favor of helping
with small, studied perturbations.

--Regina

Message: 7