[ExI] what did we learn?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Nov 1 15:46:41 UTC 2020

...> On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] what did we learn?

>...Here's an idea I'm just throwing out for consideration...:

>...COVID-19 isn't really what's causing our current woes, the internet is.

>...Maybe one of the lessons to be learned has nothing to do with infectious
diseases, and everything to do with how we let the internet change our
lives.

--
Ben Zaiboc

Ben there is no need to soften it or apologize, this is a perfectly valid
theory.  Is has been clear to me for some time that the internet does
amplify some things, because people click on it.  Consider news of the
weird.  I have liked that stuff for decades.  Our local newspaper (the
actual literal woodpulp product from the olden days) used to carry a weekly
column, then it went to thrice weekly, then a daily feature, and was one of
my favorite comics: weird stuff is funny.

Now... there is soooo much news of the weird, even a dedicated fan just
can't keep up.  I don't think weirdness has come into fashion or is more
common, it is just more accessible.  With the ability to post it free and
measure the popularity by number of clicks (by revenue) the publisher gets
to see what sells.

Look at the impact this has had on news in general.  It seems like most if
it has become celebrities, sports and politics (translation: more news of
the weird than anything else.)  Some fall for it and start to think our
world today is about celebrities, sports and politics (news of the weird)
but it really isn't at all.  One would think the big city riots are what is
going on, but it really isn't.  Those are happening, but that isn't what is
happening in our world today.  We amplify it with the medium.

Ben don't soften it: the internet is changing our lives, almost entirely for
the better if one knows how to extract useful information.  If we allow the
internet to inject a lot of nonsense, news of the weird, amplify the very
localized riots and civil unrest, exaggerate the importance of sports and
celebrities, then we do ourselves harm with the internet.