[ExI] what did we learn?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 21:01:09 UTC 2020

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 5:41 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> Here's an idea I'm just throwing out for consideration. I'm not saying
> it's true, or that I believe it, but it's not something I've heard
> anyone else say. Maybe it's nonsense, maybe not:
>
> COVID-19 isn't really what's causing our current woes, the internet is.

I trust that you have a multilayer and nuanced thought process that was
overly summarized to that clickbait-y sentiment.

Consider how neo Luddite it sounds though.  All we have to do to solve our
current woes is "ban" the internet.  That's the kind of thinking that says
we can get those covid-cases down if only we stop testing so much.  Or that
in cases of legitimate rape, a womans's body has ways of shutting that down.

I'm using extreme examples; I admit.  That i didn't have to reach very far
to come up with such absurdities supports my point about what kind of
people are misunderstanding a simple statement like "... current woes, the
internet ... "  For those consumers, I think it might be better to simply
blame the devil:  "covid-19 isn't really what's causing our current woes,
the devil is."  At least you can go to Church to hide from the devil.
There's no way to stop the internet.

As Adrian proposed, the Internet is only a recent extension of "technology"
that was preceded by TV, radio, newsprint, etc... all the way back to the
dawn of language and communication.  We spread memes.  That's a design
feature and flaw.

I propose for your further consideration that anything you say about the
Internet you are saying about the hyperconnected mind of Humanity.  If you
had someplace to observe the cognitive behavioral health of Humanity as an
individual, what would you say about that "person"?  I haven't decided if
this anthropomorphic Humanity is a "terrible twos" baby or a pubescent
tween.  Too bad we don't have an older sibling role model.  :)