[ExI] what did we learn?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 18:36:20 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 1:04 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> News should be written by scientists and technology people.  All of it.

Sounds kinda like what theconversation.com is about:

https://theconversation.com/us/who-we-are

Who we are
The Conversation US arose out of deep-seated concerns for the fading
quality of our public discourse – and recognition of the vital role that
academic experts can play in the public arena.

Independent and not-for-profit, it is part of a global network of newsrooms
first launched in Australia in 2011. The Conversation began its US
operations in 2014, and now also publishes in Canada, the UK, France,
Indonesia, Africa, Spain as well as Australia.

The Conversation’s mission is particularly resonant in the U.S., where
people universally sense that the country’s social fabric is strained and
the common ground people share is shrinking.

Information always has been essential to democracy – a societal good, like
clean water. But many now find it difficult to put their trust in the
media. And with little consensus about what to believe, it only becomes
harder to reach agreement with fellow citizens regarding what’s truthful.

The Conversation US seeks to be part of the solution to this problem.

The Conversation’s editorial process is deliberate and collaborative.
Editors pay close attention to the news environment to identify the issues
citizens are concerned about. They reach out to leading scholars across
academia and work with them to unlock their knowledge for the broad public.

Through a Creative Commons license, we share Conversation US articles – at
no charge to news organizations – across the geographic and ideological
spectrum. We pay particular attention to strengthening news organizations
that are severely under-resourced. The Associated Press distributes The
Conversation US articles daily to thousands of newsrooms.

Importantly, The Conversation US is committed to information transparency
and credibility. Authors are only allowed to write on a subject on which
they have proven expertise. They must sign a disclosure statement outlining
any relevant funding or affiliations. We ourselves disclose all of The
Conversation US’ funders on our homepage and elsewhere. Our goals are
summed up in our editorial charter.

Our approach has hit a responsive chord: The Conversation US articles were
read over 99 million times in 2019, a figure surpassed in the first seven
months of 2020. Today, The Conversation US has relationships with scholars
at more than 900 colleges and universities and has published more than
11,000 articles sharing their expertise on subjects from astronomy to
Zoroastrianism.

If you are an academic interested in writing for us, please send us a pitch.

Our major funding comes from the generous support of foundations and
universities, for which we are grateful. If you value The Conversation’s
journalism, we would appreciate your donation.