[ExI] what did we learn?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 19:19:47 UTC 2020

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 18:27, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Picked on?  I have no heartburn with English majors.  Many of them go into teaching, which is a most admirable aim in life.  I like English majors.  They cause no harm that I can see.  Journalism majors on the other hand, have a scandalously disproportionate influence on society and in my opinion generally a corrosive one.
>
> Any picking on that I do does not apply to English majors, but is sincere ridicule and scorn, specifically aimed at journalism majors.  That’s not a legitimate field of study in my opinion.  News should be written by scientists, technologists and engineers.  There is sufficient talent there, and far greater insights.
>
> There ya go, Garrison Keillor was an English major.  He has given us so much.  There’s a life well lived.  He goes on about Dave Barry, the writer who influenced my style considerably, also an English major.
>
> spike

Isn't it a bit unfair to complain about journalists?  For the big
media giants surely it is the billionaire owners that direct the
agenda of their media? The workers have to support the politics of the
owners or they lose their job.
Some journalists can work for lower wages on small independent
publications, but for a career, the big media giants have the money
and the prospects.

BillK