[ExI] Beyond Meat

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue Nov 3 19:22:47 UTC 2020

On 03/11/2020 05:34, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> Anyway, the thing i was actually trying to solicit thoughts about is
> whether transhuman futures will be driven by those trying to leave
> earth or by those trying to stay.

Maybe both.

Although one scenario often offered as a solution to the problem of
post-humans and baseline humans failing to coexist peacably on the same
planet, is a rule that anyone who uploads has to get off the planet
immediately afterwards.

Of course, in that scenario, the transhumanist future is all in space,
and doesn't help the people left on earth (probably not true, thinking
about it. For starters, it would make cheap energy a lot easier, plus
lots of other things that would, even incidentally, benefit those
left/trapped on earth).

I see no reason, though, why peaceful coexistence wouldn't be possible,
and can imagine a future where uploads are developed, help to reverse
whatever damage has been done to the environment/ecology/human
civilisation, make life much better for those who choose to remain
biological, and also drive expansion into space.

--
Ben Zaiboc