[ExI] smartwatch update

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon Nov 9 17:17:18 UTC 2020

On 09/11/2020 11:25, Dave Sill wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 8:53 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/11/2020 07:00, Dave Sill wrote:
>>     Why would you want to turn it off?
>     Wow.
>
>     Was that a joke? Or do you work for the company that makes these
>     devices?
>

> No, no joke. Have you ever seen a watch with an on/off switch, either
> mechanical or electronic? Why would you ever want to turn a watch off?

That's taking the term 'watch' too literally. These things are only
incidentally watches. They are computers with a bunch of sensors, that
you strap to your wrist. Not being able to turn them off when you want
(for whatever reason, this isn't something anyone needs to justify)
would be totally unacceptable. Would you buy a car with an engine that
you couldn't turn off? A TV? A video recorder? Has anyone actually read
1984? (yes, I know, the Chinese government has, but that's not what I
mean. I'm talking about taking it as a warning, not an instruction manual).

"If you turn it off, it's no longer keeping time, monitoring your heart,
reminding you to take your meds, etc. Just recharge it as needed."

This is beside the point. It's my device. I should be able to decide
when it's on and when it's off, not the manufacturer. Simple as that*.

And you can switch it off, as someone else explained a few posts ago. So
that's fine. It's just the attitude 'why would you want to?' that
astonishes me. Just dumbly accept what the manufacturers sell you, no
questions asked, no control allowed or even desired. That's how you
sleepwalk into a dystopia.

Actually, it seems there are already smartphones that you literally
can't turn off, can't even remove the battery. Perhaps we're already
halfway there.

* Of course, nothing's actually that simple. Your computer doesn't stop
keeping time when it's off (neither should a smart watch), so the
concept of 'off' is a bit of a moving target (a bit like death). My
point stands, though, that it's the user that should have the ability to
be in control of their devices, not the manufacturer, software company,
media corporation, government, etc. The message of TRON seems to have
become lost somewhere in the last few decades.

--
Ben Zaiboc