[ExI] smartwatch update

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 18:10:06 UTC 2020

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 12:19 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> That's taking the term 'watch' too literally. These things are only
> incidentally watches. They are computers with a bunch of sensors, that you
> strap to your wrist. Not being able to turn them off when you want (for
> whatever reason, this isn't something anyone needs to justify) would be
> totally unacceptable.

I suppose. But the primary reason for the capability to power off is to
reboot the operating system.

> Would you buy a car with an engine that you couldn't turn off?

Like a Tesla that's always in stand-by so it can be summoned?

> A TV?

Dollars to donuts, your TV doesn't power off, it also goes into stand-by
mode. Or do you have to get up and push a button to turn it back on instead
of using the remote?

A video recorder? Has anyone actually read 1984?

Of course.

And you can switch it off, as someone else explained a few posts ago. So
> that's fine. It's just the attitude 'why would you want to?' that
> astonishes me. Just dumbly accept what the manufacturers sell you, no
> questions asked, no control allowed or even desired. That's how you
> sleepwalk into a dystopia.

I'm not dumbly accepting anything. I don't use a watch. I've got a smart
phone but I know what the risks are and I accept them.

If you "dumbly accept" that having a power button really gives you control,
maybe you shouldn't.

Actually, it seems there are already smartphones that you literally can't
> turn off, can't even remove the battery. Perhaps we're already halfway
> there.

Use a Faraday bag, while it's still legal. :-)

https://www.amazon.com/faraday-bag/s?k=faraday+bag

-Dave