[ExI] put up with me

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 00:35:56 UTC 2020

For launches from the US, you have to get licensing from the FAA (and
possibly others depending on what you're launching, e.g. if you're
launching a comms sat for a US operator, the FCC has a say too).

To my knowledge, there are no land areas on Earth that are not claimed by
some national body, whose permission you would need to use it as a launch
base.  In other words, there effectively aren't any deserted islands, if
"deserted" means "not under some nation's jurisdiction".

For any launch from international waters, whatever you used to get the
rocket out there is a vessel which, by international law, is registered to
some country - by default, whatever country it was made in (or where the
things that made it were made in, et cetera, if you try to dodge that way)
- whether you want it to be or not.  That country is what you have to get
permission from to launch.

That's the legal answer.  The practical answer: by the time you can get the
resources together to seriously attempt a launch from a deserted island,
you will of your own accord pull back to launching from some more
accessible site.

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 4:17 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <