[ExI] Fwd: year round school

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 01:36:57 UTC 2020

You are writing about areas in which algebra can be used.  I'd ask you:
just what percentage of the people actually do use it?  Or even understand
it when they hear it?

Speaking of which, I heard this on TV - more than once:  "He averages 4
yards a carry every time he touches the ball."  That's how much announcers
understand statistics.

Outside of my teaching and using statistics, I have used algebra a total of
two times in my life since college.

How much of it sticks?  I was a volunteer helping build an owl house for a
rescue service.  Two guys were standing around with the belts and equipment
of amateur builders.  I heard 'pi r squared, or is it cubed?' and words
like that.  What they were trying to figure out was the distance from the
edge of the building to the rooftop (the hypotenuse), based on the distance
from the wall to the center and from the center to the top of the roof.  Of
course I told them that they didn't need math about circles.

Maybe I can compromise:  require it, but do not require a senior test for
algebra in order to graduate, like our state does.  A person with an
average IQ can understand abstractions, but below that the ability
diminishes rapidly.  A person who cannot pass 9th grade algebra should be
put into a trade school type program, not a college prep program.  How
about that?  Of course many schools don't offer that - but they should.
English lit as an elective (and that coming from a person with a major in
English).

Just wondering on a different subject:  how many high school grads read
books like those they studied in Western literature?  Maube more than those
that use algebra, but I'll bet it's not many.  the average American reads
one book a year.  Which means, of course, that quite a large percentage
read no books at all. (Here is a good case for using the median, not the
mean - put a lot of zeros in the equation and it skews the mean).

Intellectuals plan curricula.  Maybe they should have some blue collar
workers on those committees to bring a tint of reality to the
requirements.  Home Ec - how to raise children - home finances - religion -
civics - courses everyone needs and no one gets.

bill w

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 4:58 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <