[ExI] Fwd: year round school

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 01:56:27 UTC 2020

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 7:32 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
> my letter to a legislator, head of the Education committee - your thoughts?   bill w

I agree with Adrian about algebra being very useful, especially to
people who don't pursue STEM careers.

But I would turn this around on you. It's not so much that failing
algebra keeps kids from graduating high school, but that the high
school diploma was so important -- though nowadays, it's the Bachelors
and even the Masters in some fields. In fact, one can learn algebra
before and without getting high school diploma -- just as one can
learn to read, write, and even do complicated mental stuff without
said diploma. Yet someone without one is almost certain to be unable
to get jobs that don't even require more than, say, a fifth grader's
level of education in competence. Therein lies the real problem with
education today: vast expenditures to little effect mainly aimed at
credentialing people because there's a credentials arms race.

Again, I recommend Bryan Caplan's 02018 book _The Case Against
Education: Why the Education System Is a Waste of Time and Money_.

With regard to the summer slump, I think it will fix more things in
long term memory, but there will still be losses. For instance, how
much history or civics or high school French will you remember if you
went to school year round, graduated, but then never use any of these
for a decade? Surely, you won't be starting at zero, but the question
might better be why teach stuff kids aren't interested in, will only
remember on the test, and will only recall later if at all after much
prompting? What's the goal here? (Second language instruction, in my
view, should take place at a much younger age anyhow. That's how the
rest of the world tends to work with this. And given current
conditions in the US, the basic student in the US should be fluent in
Spanish as a second language before they reach puberty. And I've
nothing against having kids, provided they have a say, learning a
third language. Etc.)

I agree about the teenage brain being ready much later in the day.
Therein lies a problem: adults who are supposed to teach these teens
actually are better earlier in the day and fade earlier. So, it's kind
of a compromise one would have to look for here or some tech fix --
like having teachers from one timezone teach kids in another. (And, of
course, all kids aren't alike, so with the tech for remote teaching,
why not parlay this into suiting each class to the students and the
teachers across the globe? Kids who are really early risers -- though
few -- could go to early classes while the rest go later, especially
if it's mostly/all remote.)

Regards,

Dan