[ExI] Eventbrite/Zoom addiction!

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 13:00:17 UTC 2020

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 2:39 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Dave wrote:
>
> >I'm in the "college isn't the best option for everyone" camp. It's
mandatory for some professions but a waste of time and money for others.

> Well Dave, this is a straw man argument.  Nobody is saying 'everyone'.
I'd limit college to those with IQs and other talents
> above average as well as the interest.

Well, I wasn't arguing, I was stating my opinion. And I wasn't assuming
that "everyone" was literal. I think college is a bad choice for a lot of
people who have the qualifications, means, and even interest. I'm also not
saying that nobody should go to college. It *can* be a great experience and
we do need academics. But most people would probably be better served by
targeted occupational training that would better prepare them for their
career in less time and at much lower cost.

College is better suited to providing a classical education in composition,
literature, history, math, arts, etc., than in job skills. I have a BS in
Computer Science, and I learned a lot in college, but I didn't really learn
how to be a programmer or system administrator--the jobs I've held since
graduating. With a year of programming training I'd have been
better-prepared, would have saved a lot of debt that took years to pay
back, and would have had four more years of earning.

-Dave