[ExI] Eventbrite/Zoom addiction!

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 15:26:44 UTC 2020

Dave = agreed - what you learn in college is not, mostly, for what you do
on your job.  It's for what you do with the other parts of your life:
your religion and philosophy; your aesthetics in the arts; your basic
understanding of people from biology, psychology, history and more.

It reminds me of a commercial in which a group of young people was asked at
the end of the ad:  so what do you talk about when you get together?
Answer - servers.  What kind of a life is that?  College opens your eyes to
the possibilities in life you will never touch on in trade school.  That
reminds me of what a medical school recommended for students who were
coming there:  learn about life.  We'll teach you the science of medicine.
Take psych, take philosophy, take history and so on.  Don't be a
narrow-minded person who knows little outside your field.

There is a lot of content in college courses that could easily be taught at
a somewhat lower level in high school or below - and should be.  A lot more
about thinking:  how to do it, how to recognize cognitive errors.
Repeating myself;  more about how to run a family - finances, buying cars
and houses, dealing with children and so on.

I think about most people in the past:  the children grew up and did what
their family had always done.  Some went into the apprentice system.  Few
outside the nobility knew anything about their world outside of the shoe
shop or the farm.  I don't want any modern child to look forward to a life
like that.  I want to open minds to their own possibilities.

bill w

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 7:02 AM Dave Sill via extropy-chat <