[ExI] Thanksgiving

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 18:29:52 UTC 2020

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 1:05 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> I have these:
>
> 1.           Commercially viable computers, which I will kinda
> arbitrarily assign to Apple computer, about 1977.

You mean commercially viable personal computers? Because mainframes and
minis were already well established by then. Commodore and others helped
pave the way for Apple.

> 2.         HTML, which enabled the modern internet as we know it with
> websites and links and all the cool stuff on there, about 1993

That's bass ackwards: the Internet paved the way for HTML and the WWW. And
the smart phone.

> 3.         Cell phone technology, which reached inflection point around
> 2000 or so.

 My list would include:

  personal computers
  free software (GNU, Linux, and many more)
  public-key encryption
  the Internet
  GPS & sat nav
  searching (AltaVista, Google Search, Bing, DuckDuckGo)
  social networking (email, Usenet, MySpace, Twitter, FB)
  crowdsourcing (free software, Wikipedia, gofundme, pledgemusic,
Uber/Lyft, Grubhub/DoorDash)

Coming soon? Maybe:

  AI
  uploading