[ExI] Nuclear fusion reactor could be here as soon as 2025

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 14:20:08 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 12:24 PM John Grigg via extropy-chat

> Giulio Prisco wrote:
> "Does this require Helium-3? Or not?"
>
> From what I have read, it does not. And so I suppose we don't need to build it on the Moon! Lol

I guess this does require trace amounts of Helium-3:

"the ICRH power is primarily absorbed in a helium-3 minority..."
https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0022377820001257

My interpretation (I need to read the papers more carefully though) is
that traces amounts of Helium-3 are needed for this fusion method to
work. Yes, this would be a powerful incentive to mine lunar Helium-3.