[ExI] humility

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Oct 17 15:37:30 UTC 2020

From: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 8:26 AM
To: spike <spike at rainier66.com>; ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: humility

OK, Spike, did you flunk this test?

from Quora

>…I really like the Paradox of Humility. It’s effectively equivalent to the Socratic paradox, but brings the concept of sufficiency into the equation.

>…Where humility is considered a virtue one must ask how one would be aware that one possesses that virtue. In short how much of what must you do or have to be rightly regarded as ‘humble’?

Ah BillW, of course I understand this paradox.  We cannot assess our own humility, which is why we had to organize the competition to start with: have others assess it for us.  Finding suitable judges for that is crazy difficult.  In order to be qualified, they have to be unqualified.

>…This is why Ben FRanklin could not add humility to the list of virtues he tried to achieve. He understood the paradox.  bill w

Franklin tried and tried, but he was a piker at the humility game.  Just beating him at that game caused me to lose to him at that game.

>…The paradox arises from the fact that humility cannot be self-identified, since it is defined by a regard for oneself that assigns greater importance to others. When one is assessing one’s own humility then humility cannot be demonstrated.

This is partly correct, but the part about assigning a greater importance to others is but one event in the multi-event humathlon.