[ExI] humility

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Oct 17 17:04:41 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] humility

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 16:40, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> >...This is partly correct, but the part about assigning a greater importance to others is but one event in the multi-event humathlon... spike

>...Don't forget Uriah Heep in Charles Dickens' novel David Copperfield... BillK

Sure, great book, but I just couldn't get past Dickens' ripping off the British rock band for the name.  It isn't like the guy couldn't think of a name on his own.  But karma caught up with him: he became synonymous with pain.  Example: I have a urinary tract infection and it hurts like the dickens.

Fun aside on that: I saw a billboard with Uriah Heep doing another album.  Mick Box is one of the originals (the only one left) so his rock n roll career spans over half a century.

I will hand it to the Brits: at the internationals, the UK team are a formidable powerhouse in competitive humility.

The fun part about this apparent paradox is that even if you reverse it, a new paradox emerges.  Suppose we try to have a contest to see who is the least humble?  The fans listen to the arrogance competitors and begin discussions among themselves: oh these guys suck at arrogance.  I can outdo all of them combined!  The judges overhear this and give the medal to the fan.  But then the guy beside him challenges him and wins, pretty soon it is chaos.