[ExI] Is the ExI email list slowly dying out? And if so, what can be done to reverse such an outcome?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Oct 21 13:29:30 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Is the ExI email list slowly dying out? And if so, what
can be done to reverse such an outcome?

On 21/10/2020 00:03, JF wrote:

Otherwise this email thread will just be talk

Well, to be fair, this is called the "exi-chat" list. It's supposed to be
'just talk'.

Any spin-off groups for the purpose of actually doing something other than
talk can be, and probably have been, done. Feel free to start one.

--
Ben Zaiboc

Hi Ben there were at least two projects that spun off from ExiChat.  Julian
Assange was part of a privacy discussion group but kept getting pissed off
at anyone who wasn't as extreme on it as he is (which was everybody) so he
left and created WikiLeaks.  Julian was always fighting everyone so he
really wasn't a good fit for ExiChat.

Hal Finney, oh what guy, kindhearted, open, generous, smart as a whip, a
jewel of a person.  He asked many questions on ExIChat about encryption and
such.  A subgroup formed, he mostly led that, wrote the biggest fraction of
the material.  We don't know for sure, but I think Hal originated the
concept of block chain, and was a likely advisor to (or perhaps was one of)
Satoshi Nakamoto, the founder(s) of BitCoin.