[ExI] Fan of Sci-Fi? Psychologists Have You in Their Sights

Henrik Ohrstrom henrik.ohrstrom at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 19:14:26 UTC 2020

Triage is done all the time, always.
Giving all patients all possible treatment all the time is akin to torture
your patients (and in insurance based jurisdictions, making them pay for
the "fun" of being treated to death too)
I work with anesthesia and intensive care, palliative pain medicine and to
some extent chronic pain.
No one should get more "care" than is needed for a good death. That's
torture.
Everyone should get enough care for a good life, that's good care.
The old and demented should not be in intensive care units. That is not the
same as not giving them state of the art care and treatment. But as long as
we are far from any useful or accepted cryogenic treatment, no-ones life
should be turned into a "well-meaning" treatment to death.
Sometimes success in reviving a stopped heart in the ER haunts you for many
years with the living ghost that keeps coming back for more suffering year
after year.
There are a couple of patients for whom I really really regret the
"success" in the ER.
Try to explain this to your average politician. :(

/Henrik