[ExI] ligo again: was: RE: puzzling

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 22:15:11 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 12:11 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <

*> Blind faith in dark matter particles could be what is causing the Hubble
> telescope and the Planck satellite to disagree on the value of Hubble's
> not-so-constant.*

Scientists didn't come to the idea of Dark Matter because of blind faith
they came to it kicking and screaming, but nobody could think of a better
explanation that fit the facts, or at least most of them, and there still
isn't. And if the disagreement between the Hubble optical telescope and the
Planck microwave satellite is real and not the result of some experimental
error then it is almost certainly caused by our misunderstanding of Dark
Energy not Dark Matter, maybe the density of Dark Energy does not remain
constant as space expands after all.  We know even less about Dark Energy
than we do about Dark Matter even though it's nearly 3 times as common as
Dark Matter and 14 times as common is normal regular matter.

* >If it isn't WIMPs it is almost certainly black holes.*

Or Axions, very light (lighter than an electron but nobody knows exactly
how much lighter) but slow moving particles that were theorized long ago
for reasons that had nothing to do with the Dark Matter problem. If the
Axion exists and if its mass is in the 10^-6 to 10^-3  electron volt range
then it could account for Dark Matter. Experiments are underway to find
them right now, you put a highly tuned electromagnetic resonant chamber in
a strong 8 Tesla magnetic field and then look for a weak microwave signal,
if you don't find it then the Axion doesn't exist in that very specific
energy range so carefully retune your resonant chamber to a slightly
different resonant frequency and try again. The bad news is it's going to
take time to work your way through the entire 10^-6 to 10^-3 range, the
good news is unlike WIMP detectors you don't need to go underground to
search for Axons, and there isn't a lot of wiggle room in Axion theory, so
in the next three or four years we should be able to definitively say that
Axiom's are Dark Matter or rule them out entirely.

Or maybe Dark Matter is made of particles that nobody has even theorized
about yet.

> * > It is a very interesting coincidence that the radial density of the
> Milky Way that supports a uniform orbital rotation rate of 250 km/sec  (1)
> is a constant 3.6 million solar masses per light year. 3.6 million  solar
> masses happens to be the estimated mass of Sagittarius A*,*

Dark matter appears to be pretty spread out, there is as much of it in the
direction perpendicular to the plane of the galaxy as there is parallel to
it, so if Black Holes are Dark Matter then there must be lots of very small
ones not a few large ones.

John K Clark