[ExI] outing myself

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 20:01:55 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 7:45 PM Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat
> How do you feel about Portrait of the Artist, Dubliners, and Ulysses?  Tangentially, I would guess you're also not an Ezra Pound fan.
>
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 3:24 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>>  I really am calling
>> bullshit on James Joyce.

I know your question is directed at Spike, but I like some of the
stories in _Dubliners_, especially 'Araby.' I didn't initially like
'The Dead' -- except for the ending -- but now I see how it works and
think it's okay. _Portrait_ was okay, though it felt long despite
being short. It's not that hard to read though. _Ulysess_ I never
finished, but the opening is funny. I hope to tackle it one day. (Then
again, so many classics I want to tackle. Have yet to read _War and
Peace_, for instance.)

I'm not much of a fan of Pound. I tried to get into him years ago, but
he didn't stick. This was at a time when I was trying to self-educate
myself on modernist poetry. Out of the modernists, especially the
early ones, I guess I like H. D. and William Carlos Williams the most.
(If you call Yeats a modernist -- I don't -- then I'd throw him in
there and he'd be my favorite. I'm talking about the early period too,
though Williams might be considered part of the second wave of
modernism.)

Weird topics to be discussing on Extropy-chat. :)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst