[ExI] outing myself

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Oct 28 20:05:19 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] outing myself

>…How do you feel about Portrait of the Artist, Dubliners, and Ulysses?  Tangentially, I would guess you're also not an Ezra Pound fan… Dylan

Heh.

Hi Dylan, do allow me to answer with a challenge.  Rather than get sidetracked with the kinda in-between actual writing and word spew, let us focus on Finnegan’s Wake, ja?

My challenge: go to the free online text, randomly copy any paragraph from anywhere in that book, post it here.  Then ask proles to write a commentary on what the author means by this paragraph.

We know about the world of math and physics: everything is so cheerfully objective there.  The world of engineering has a lot more subjectivity to it, but it has equations, which are unambiguous, refreshingly objective.  Literature is different: it is subjective.  Finnegan’s Wake is purely subjective.

That exercise I suggested above will likely yield as many different answers as there are proles who take the challenge, and there will be little overlap in the notions presented there.

Were I a student of literature, I would refuse to play the game of guessing what the professor wanted to hear.  If that caused me to fail the class, I would change my major.  In my opinion, Joyce was spewing utter nonsense in Finnegan.