[ExI] diesel powered tesla charging stations

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 04:54:54 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 4:32 AM spike jones via extropy-chat
> OK sure, it sounds like a joke.  But really it isn’t.  Consider the advantages
> of electric cars for short range driving.  We already know that going cross
> country in those rigs is not really all that practical yet: too few charging
> stations, and the number of Teslas is increasing faster than the number
> of charging stations available.

I don't know enough about this and despite having the Internet, I'm
going to charge forward in ignorance. I presume one can hook charging
stations up to already existing electrical infrastructure, such as in
current servos and elsewhere. So wouldn't the need for diesel powered
ones be limited? I mean let's say you have a Telsa and you live in the
middle of nowhere, but let's say the middle of nowhere is still on the
electric power grid. Mayvbe the middle of where has a servo on the
grid. It still pumps fossil fuels into regular cars, but it's also go
the electric to hook up a charging station to. Why can the charging
kit (maybe a mobile one rolled out temporarily?) simply be hooked up
to said grid in the middle of nowhere?

> OK so, what’s the big problem with using Diesel-generated charging?  It would
> be faster and cheaper to set up than the infrastructure needed to charge
> electric cars in sparsely populated areas.  Furthermore… if Diesel motors
> are run at a constant speed and load, their efficiency is really good.

Yeah, I can imagine there might still be some gain from running it at
a constant load... But then do you need to run it when no one's
charging?

> We can imagine variations on a theme, where railroad flat cars are adapted in
> some locations, such as across the Midwest, where there is a whole lotta
> nuthin.  Tesla drivers could drive up onto that and get recharged as the train
> hauls the cars across Nevada for instance.

That's a good idea.

What about diesels used for other things -- transport or whatever? Is
the extra load of charging (presumably power a dynamo) drawing so much
power away from the diesel that it can't still efficiently do other
work?

> It’s a transition thing really.  We can envision eventually reducing reliance on
> Diesel generation of power to charge electric cars, but if there are a lotta
> these rigs on the road, you can be sure this will be part of the charging
> infrastructure for some period of time.

Yeah, it's probably transitional.

Regards,

Dan