[ExI] for classical music lovers only

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 17:47:52 UTC 2020

I grossly misspelled her name in an earlier post.  Only the piano music is
to my liking, but I really do like it.  re movie music:  I often tune it
out, pun intended.  Nowadays one has to tune out most of the music on TV (
with hearing aids the combination of voice and music makes the voice
unintelligible very often)- I should thank them, however, for making
turning up the music a signal that a commercial is coming up, so I can
reach for the mute.  I watch most sports muted anway.   bill w

Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969) is one of the most significant composers of
the mid-20th century, and yet her music remains largely unknown. In the
period be- tween the two world wars, she studied in Paris with Nadia
Boulanger, like so many American, British, and Polish composers, but during
her lifetime her reputation rarely translated itself into frequent
performances outside her native Poland. Bacewicz had a distinctive creative
personality and an intuitive approach to form that rewards close study. Her
experience as an orchestral leader and concert violinist informed and
enriched the string writing in the string quartets, violin concerts and
sonatas which have received some attention on record. However,
distinguished pianists such as Krystian Zimerman have recently begun to
make a persuasive case for Bacewiczs piano writing, which may be
appreciated at its freest and most demanding in the Second Piano Sonata
which brings Morta Grigaliunaites recital to a thrilling close. Bacewicz
declared that she did not see herself as an innovator but as a progressive
composer: Each work completed today becomes the past yesterday. Her two
sets of etudes tackle different techniques of pianism within clear, often
ternary forms, but the imaginative ideas within them hint at her larger
works in a similar way to the etudes and mazurkas of her compatriots Chopin
and Szymanowski, highlighting her seemingly endless capacity for
reinvention. Morta Grigaliunaite also includes in her survey a series of
lighter works: the Little Triptych, the Concert Krakowiak, a Childrens
Suite and Trois pièces caractéristiques most of them hardly more than a
minute or two in length, yet all bursting with individual ideas which
reveal Bacewiczs own considerable talents as a pianist

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:13 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <