[ExI] informative graphic

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Sep 1 04:19:48 UTC 2020

The CDC published some good graphics today to help people get a visual for
how bad is the covid pandemic.  Here it is:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm#dashboard

The above data is USA.  We see that there is access deaths there, looks like
it peaked in the second week of April and has been higher than normal for 27
weeks.  That week ending middle of August, the most recent on for which we
have data, is looking promising.

There is something else in that report I have been wondering about: we know
that comorbidities are usually listed on death certificates.  So if we had a
pile of death certificates in which covid is listed as a cause of death, how
many had no other cause?

Answer.  6%

I had kinda imagined it higher than that.

The average number of other causes of death was 2.6 besides covid.

Here's the comment:

Comorbidities

Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes
mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019
(COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For
deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there
were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#Comorbidities

I have some pondering to do.