[ExI] informative graphic

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 22:18:25 UTC 2020

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 05:23, spike jones via extropy-chat

> The CDC published some good graphics today to help people get a visual for how bad is the covid pandemic.  Here it is:
> https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm#dashboard
>
> The above data is USA.  We see that there is access deaths there, looks like it peaked in the second week of April and has been higher than normal for 27 weeks.  That week ending middle of August, the most recent on for which we have data, is looking promising.
>
> There is something else in that report I have been wondering about: we know that comorbidities are usually listed on death certificates.  So if we had a pile of death certificates in which covid is listed as a cause of death, how many had no other cause?
> Answer…  6%
>
> I had kinda imagined it higher than that.
> The average number of other causes of death was 2.6 besides covid.
>
> Here’s the comment:
> Comorbidities
> Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death…
> https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#Comorbidities
>
> I have some pondering to do.
> spike

FactCheck has explained the 6% figure.  The problem with COVID is that
it causes many illnesses, mainly pneumonia and respiratory problems
and makes any already present medical problems much worse.
<https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/>

BillK