[ExI] LIGO detects the largest black hole merger yet

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 17:25:52 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 10:00 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *> I wasn’t the only person who recognized the Hawking’s explanation for
> Hawking radiation couldn’t be right.  I have known there is something
> seriously wrong with that notion he offered in Brief History of Time, but
> had no idea what could be the real mechanism.*

The thing that bothers me is that Hawking Radiation causes Black holes to
eventually evaporate (after about 10^67 years for one the mass of the sun,
more massive ones would take longer) but Black Holes contain an enormous
amount of entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics says entropy can't
decrease, so when a Black Hole disappears where did all that entropy go?
There are some ideas but nobody knows.

John K Clark