[ExI] Mouth breathers less susceptible to covid?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 23:33:24 UTC 2020

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 11:14 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> OK then.  From what I have heard, the vitamin pills increase the vitamin D
> level in the blood but it takes a while to build up.  On the other hand,
> vitamin D production in the skin from sunlight raises the vitamin D level
> very quickly.  I don’t have the references for that.
>

> But if the bikers felt the sunshine on their way out to Sturgis, hot, dry
> country out there, lose the clothes, feel the wind and all that, perhaps
> their vitamin D level which had been low from spending their days in the
> office is raised quickly, body is exposed but can fight back, symptoms are
> mild if they catch?
>

> Takeaway: if Sturgis is a conspicuous sub-spreader event, we gotta lotta
> splainin to do.  Don’t brush this off please: there is apparently a big
> important signal hiding here and we scientific types know about it.  My
> friends, we gotta lotta splainin to do.

Significant vitamin D production in the skin requires a large area of skin
exposed to the sun. Bikers aren't known for that. Vitamin D production also
decreases with age. Bikers *are* known for that. I'm skeptical, but it *is*
possible that even old Harley riders have higher levels of vitamin D than
average.

-Dave