[ExI] bikers again

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 12:03:22 UTC 2020

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 4:29 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> >…Trump … John K Clark
>

> *> Politics, disregard all. *

I don't think anyone on this list needs your help to figure out what to
disregard. And how the hell was that political?! A scientific hypothesis
has been proposed, namely that sunlight makes large gatherings of people
safe from COVID-19 even if they're not wearing facemasks, and I mentioned
that there is already a control experiment in progress that can test that
hypothesis. Is the very word "Trump" now forbidden from being uttered on
the Extropian list regardless of context?

*> John what do you think somehow protected those bikers?*

I don't know, and nobody will ever know if we don't do experiments to find
out. For ethical reasons it's often difficult to perform rigorous
scientific tests (which need control experiments) with deadly viruses, but
in this case Trump has already provided us with one.

Let me ask a question of my own. Family physicians are infected with
COVID-19 more than the general population, but frontline physicians in
hospital settings where facemasks are mandatory deal with patients sick
with COVID-19 constantly, and yet they actually have a lower rate of
infection than the general population. What do you think protected those
physicians even in that dangerous situation?

Workers in hospital settings may be better protected from COVID-19 than the
general population
<https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/news-releases/2020/july/among-healthcare-workers-family-primary-care-doctors-most-at-risk-of-dying-from-covid19>

John K Clark