[ExI] bikers again

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 4 21:29:38 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry Rivera <hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 4, 2020 2:12 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike at rainier66.com
Subject: Re: [ExI] bikers again

What does this refer to specifically?

> On Sep 4, 2020, at 4:08 PM, spike jones via extropy-chat
>
> and the failure to break out nursing home deaths,

Hi Henry, take all covid fatalities, separate all those who lived in a
nursing home or long term care facility.  List the numbers separately.
Here's an example of where that is being done:

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/dashboard-cases.aspx

This is useful information.  The green bars are nursing homers.  Looks like
about half of the fatalities are there, and we already know the really
super-annuated almost all live in a nursing home.  But if we treat those as
two separate groups and do our demographics similarly, the risk to older
non-nursing homers isn't nearly as disturbing, and Henry there is a reason
why I keep going on about that.

Any distortion of the risk picture introduces new risks.

For instance... my father's second cousin is one of my genealogy partners.
He lives practically within walking distance of the hospital where I was
born (he was born there too) and has never moved.  It is a small hospital:
everybody knows everybody there.

When the covid emergency began, many regular customers stopped coming.  My
cousin continued but he isn't afraid of much (he faced the Viet Cong in
1963, a virus doesn't scare him.)  Not enough customers, the hospital had to
close its doors.  He didn't re-establish contacts at the hospital over in
the big city.  His prescriptions ran out.  Fluid built up around his heart,
he wound up in the ER at the hospital he had previously refused to
patronize, hoping for the best with his congestive heart failure.

He survived after a really bad night hooked up to the old blibbity beepers
(his term (wonderfully descriptive (not overly technical (but everyone here
knows what he means.))))

But otherwise he would be an example of a patient who died OF covid WITHOUT
covid.

Distortion of the risk matrix introduces new risk.