[ExI] bikers again

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 15:15:14 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 10:29 PM Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat

> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020, 12:33 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> Keith was the one who hipsterized me to how viruses don’t have DNA, they have RNA.  But I had heard that polymerase chain reaction is not a reliable amplifier of RNA, only DNA.
>
> Two comments, many viruses do have DNA.   CV-19 is not one of them though.

Correct.

I have no idea how Spike could have gotten such inaccurate information
from me,  I have understood that there are DNA and RNA viruses for
decades.  Smallpox, herpes, and the chickenpox are caused by DNA
viruses.   Influenza, rabies, and COVID-19 are RNA viruses.  The
misunderstanding could have been cured by a short visit to Wikipedia

"Most eukaryotic viruses, including most human, animal, and plant
viruses, are RNA viruses, although eukaryotic DNA viruses are also
common.[44][49]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_classification#Host_range

Some time ago (at least a year) I was impressed by an article (in
Science I think) which discussed positive selection of genes from
Neanderthals.  The article noted that around 6000 genes (of the 20,000
active in humans) were associated with virus resistance, about half
against DNA and half against RNA viruses.  Wow.  Close to 1/3 of the
human genome is associated with virus resistance.

You understand this subject.

Keith