[ExI] second chance

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Sep 5 16:56:25 UTC 2020

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

>.Shall we start a betting pool?  If so, I would wager that the
Biketoberfest crowd will be healthier than the stay-at-homes, even if I will
be damned if I can figure out why.  I can't think of a single plausible
explanation for why the Sturgis crowd did so well, but whatever that was, I
would bet the same mojo applies to Florida.

spike

Other than being out in the sticks, what differences are there between
Sturgis in August and Daytona Beach in October?

I do know that Sturgis is hot, dry and dusty.  The chart below describes the
percent chance of each kind of weather.  In the first week of August,
typically there is about 3% chance of muggy conditions, about 12% chance of
humid, about 25% chance of comfortable and about 60% chance of dry
conditions:

OK.  I don't have a similar chart for Daytona beach, so do let me just offer
a subjective description: 100% it will be at least muggy, but good chance it
will go right on over to oppressive and miserable (ey, I didn't make up
those terms (the Sturgis people did (and they are good descriptions of
Florida in general for much of the year (see above.)))

So. both places are hot, but Sturgis in August is really dry hot and Daytona
Beach in October is jungle-humid hot.

Both are hot, but Sturgis is very dry and dusty, whereas Daytona Beach is
more soggy and mildewey.

All those bikes rumbling around, there would be dust hanging in the air
constantly in Sturgis, and now that I think about it, what if. airborne
virus particles in a liquid suspension (such as from a sneeze) somehow
encounter a dust particle also in suspension, form a virusey mud ball which
somehow doesn't infect other bikers?  Could dust in the air be a virus
neutralizer?

If so. the Biketoberfest in Daytona will be a super-spreader and we will see
the opposite of the Sturgis experience.

If I can't think of a better explanation, I retract my wager that
Biketoberfest will somehow protect proles.  But if Biketoberfest is a
super-spreader, perhaps we can dust ourselves to health.  I have thought of
arbitrarily many get-rich-quick schemes, but this is the first time in my
life it ever occurred to me that desert dust could have some useful purpose.