[ExI] bikers again and smallpox

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 01:43:44 UTC 2020

I'm curious how they can accurately estimate health care costs.  Even
assuming their case linkage model is correct, they have little idea how
many people will actually end up requiring treatment without detailed
demographic info.

Instead, I see in the paper they "conservatively" assume that even with no
fatalities, it would cost $46,000 per patient in healthcare costs.  This is
a preposterous number that assumes no asymptomatic cases, and no real
insight into how many actually need to be admitted to a hospital.

If their case model is anywhere near as sloppy as their cost model, the
entire thing is suspect, but I can't speak to that.  Maybe someone else
here can attempt to pick it apart and see if it holds up.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 8:49 PM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <