[ExI] we are free

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Sep 10 21:58:20 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] we are free

I sometimes wonder (how (you keep track (of how many (parentheses (to pop
(when you finish (a sentence))))))).

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org

Estimation, me lad! (or failing that, still more digression (but recognize
the reason for it to start with (that free thinking is often the best
thinking.)))

Speaking of which... a friend just now discovered Jack Kerouac (now THERE's
a lad who took digressive writing to a new level (making his writing flow
like Charlie Parker on the sax (which was simultaneously chaotic and
profound.)))

You can tell when I really get on something, I focus and mostly stop doing
that nested parentheses business.  Example, this Sturgis rally crowd who
just keep refusing to die.  Why do they keep not dying?  We have a clear,
unambiguous, large dataset, every person on this planet either did or did
not go to Sturgis.  That half million who did are easily identifiable after
the fact and they are being watched and measured.  They keep not dying, and
we don't know why.  The people who do this kind of thing seem reluctant to
talk about it and I don't know why on them either.  This seems like a huge
monster important signal, even more than that 66/85 which coulda just had
the courtesy to have happened a coupla months later so my mind wouldn't be
blown by both barrels at the same time.  Then I could focus on one
mind-blower at a time.

That megamerger happened ten billion years ago, so that can wait a few weeks
while I struggle to understand the Sturgis data, which just keeps on
astounding, and the epidemiologist community just keeps on not explaining
it, or hell, even acknowledging it.  So we are left with economists flat-out
contradicting what we all plainly see and offering absurd conclusions based
on cell phone pings and whatever hallucinogens are popular with that crowd
these days, and all the while we are left ignoring some important
information, which leads to a collective failure to recognize a possible
mechanism and a possible method for reducing covid risk: get your ass
outdoors, expose it to the sun.  If modesty forbids, then cover that and
expose as much other skin as possible.  Encourage others to do likewise,
maintain social distance, drop this apparently ineffective shelter-in-place
notion.  Try something!  The bikers did, they aren't dying, and we still
don't know why.

Notice, no parentheses.  Now lose the clothes and hit the backyard.