[ExI] 9/11

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:07:15 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 8:17 AM Dave Sill via extropy-chat <

> “Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?”

I was working at a startup in a small brickhouse office; even though this
was on the opposite coast, when the news of the first plane hit came
through we were told to go home for the day.  I remember walking out,
looking up, and noticing how unusually clear of air traffic the skies were
for that time of day.  (We had heard that all air traffic was being
grounded ASAP.)

I then remember the endless showings, over and over again, of the crash -
to the point that psychologists started warning about people suffering
vicarious trauma through repeated watchings, and urging people who might be
thus affected to stop rewatching it.  I also remember being slightly
irritated how the repetition of the same news crowded out everything else
on the TV.  I had already started shifting away from watching TV to
favoring Internet media, and while my memories of 19 years ago are hazy, I
would not be surprised if this significantly contributed toward my change
in tastes.