[ExI] 9/11

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 05:47:11 UTC 2020

In detention for not doing my homework... no recess unfortunately.

My teacher was innocently grading papers and I was mindlessly watching the TV muted, with the closed captions on.

I couldn’t quite read whole sentences yet but when I saw the first tower fall, I knew that something was really, really wrong.

With uncharacteristic discretion I walked up to her desk and got her attention, then pointed to her TV.

I was the first person in my school to know. She buzzed the principal and he immediately pulled the tornado drill, and each grade (100+ kids) got huddled into their own interior room while parents were called and we got sent home.

I never saw 9/11 footage with the sound on until about 2011ish, and that’s when it finally had an emotional impact on me, hearing the news anchors and eyewitnesses and firemen freaking out.

SR