[ExI] Human Fetal Tissue Research

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Sep 15 18:21:20 UTC 2020

From: Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Human Fetal Tissue Research

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 12:59 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

> Is fetal tissue legal even privately?

Of course.  The Fed has no say on that which it does not fund.

>…False, obviously. Fetal tissue is legal to possess and use in research, but that could easily change…

Your comment could perhaps be worded “Currently true obviously but can be changed to false at some future time obviously.”

It cannot say what one can do with one’s own donated embryo…

>…False, obviously.

Or:  “Currently true obviously but can be changed to false at some future time obviously.”

  There is no federal law covering that, and there cannot be, even if congress wanted to do something like that, because Amendment 4 would prevent and preclude any possible enforcement.

>…False, obviously…

Medical records are private.

>…Maybe in Spikelandia the Constitution reigns supreme…

The US Constitution: it isn’t just a good idea.  It’s the law.

>… But in the USA there's a big difference between Constitutional theory and practice…-Dave

Dave that is why we have a Supreme Court.

But even failing that, there is no reason why embryonic research must be done in the USA.  Fetal tissue is easy to transport.