[ExI] Human Fetal Tissue Research

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:47:01 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:22 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *From:* Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>
>

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 12:59 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <
>

> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
>

> > Is fetal tissue legal even privately?
>

> Of course.  The Fed has no say on that which it does not fund.
>
> >…False, obviously. Fetal tissue is legal to possess and use in research,
> but that could easily change…
>

> Your comment could perhaps be worded “Currently true obviously but can be
> changed to false at some future time obviously.”

The false part is "The Fed has no say on that which it does not fund"
because the authority to regulate or legislate isn't based on funding.

It cannot say what one can do with one’s own donated embryo…

> >…False, obviously.
>

> Or:  “Currently true obviously but can be changed to false at some future
> time obviously.”

Fair enough.

>   There is no federal law covering that, and there cannot be, even if
> congress wanted to do something like that, because Amendment 4 would
> prevent and preclude any possible enforcement.
>
> >…False, obviously…
>

> Medical records are private.

Outlawing the use of fetal tissue wouldn't require accessing medical
records.

> >…Maybe in Spikelandia the Constitution reigns supreme…
>

> The US Constitution: it isn’t just a good idea.  It’s the law.
>

> >… But in the USA there's a big difference between Constitutional
> theory and practice…-Dave
>

> Dave that is why we have a Supreme Court.
>

> But even failing that, there is no reason why embryonic research must be
> done in the USA.  Fetal tissue is easy to transport.

Agreed. Not even any need to transport it there.

-Dave