[ExI] Human Fetal Tissue Research

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 23:53:47 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 8:36 PM Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:46 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>> How is government-sponsored murder otherwise similar to 'social
>> justice'? It's almost like you're saying, 'I can't get my local school
>> to stop teaching about the US-Americans massacring natives in places
>> like Sand Creek.' (I'm using this example because a local school
>> teacher was called on the carpet for teaching about it in class. Some
>> parents actually didn't want their children to know about that part of
>> US history.)
>
> That is absolutely NOT what I'm saying.   My point is a political agenda is being promulgated in a tax payer funded public school.   It's not about preventing someone from teaching an ugly part of American history.   It's about filtering what is supposed to be academics through an overtly political lens.   I don't believe any political agendas should be driving public school education.  BLM and SPLC are both overtly political organizations with very specific agendas that I don't happen to agree with.   I'm not spending tax dollars for indoctrination in a public school setting.
>
> The point is there is little recourse to prevent even that.   Attempting to prevent government sponsered murder is an even bigger fool's errand than that.

Since it's government schooling, it's already politicized as others
pointed out. Anything, too, can be politicized. For me, if I had
children in school, the worry wouldn't be whether there was a
political agenda in place -- because I'd expect one -- but what
exactly was being taught and how. To be sure, I'd probably go the
route of homeschooling -- if I were inclined that way. (Don't intend
to have kids, so this is kind of idle speculation for me.:)

By the way, I don't know the SPLC or the BLM movement's stand on
teaching about stuff like the Sand Creek massacre, but my guess is
they wouldn't be against that. So they don't run the schools. In fact,
in the case I mentioned -- and this is in Washington state which is
not a Red State or known for whitewashing American history -- the
parents complaining seemed to be conservative, no? I mean they're not
the kind of parents who'd likely write checks to the SPLC or join in
BLM protests by my reckoning. (Of course, this could be a case of
Right wingers seeing school history courses saying anything critical
about America as political propaganda from 'cultural Marxists' while
Left wingers seeing the same courses as hopelessly nationalistic
because they don't critique enough.)

There's another issue here, though. And, yeah, I'm probably going
overboard with Caplan's work, but the impact of schooling on ideology
seems overstated. If schooling really shifted or defined people's
ideology, don't you think the political landscape would look very
different? Caplan shows schooling tends to have far less impact on
people's ideology than peers and generational influences. Also,
there's the decades old work of Philip Converse that most people --
about two-thirds of them in his studies -- simply don't hold a
coherent ideology. (I knew a guy in college who seemed to fit into the
two-thirds: I could argue the libertarian take on specific issues with
him and he'd agree, but he never could rise above that. For instance,
he might concur on legalizing pot, but it'd be another long argument
on legalizing cocaine or LSD. The same thing with free trade: he might
agree on free trade with electronics, but food was another story. He
just never seemed to see how any of this stuff goes together. And I
don't believe he was just agreeing to avoid conflict.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://www.amazon.com/Dan-Ust/e/B00J6HPX8M/