[ExI] COVID-19

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:39:15 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 9:53 AM Darin Sunley via extropy-chat <

> That's because one of those numbers is a good-faith attempt to measure an
> actual natural phenomenon, and one of them is barely-disguised political
> propaganda generated by counting every warm body they could find a cold
> virus in.

That's not true. For example, in my state:

    *“In Tennessee, the state medical examiner’s office reviews all
COVID-19-associated deaths,” Buchanan said. “Deaths are only counted as
COVID-19 related if the virus is found to be a significant contributing
factor to the death. If someone tests positive then sadly dies in an
accident completely unrelated to COVID-19, they would not be counted in the
death count for COVID-19.”*

*    There can also be additional conditions that contribute to the death
created by the virus. Buchanan offered the example of respiratory failure
associated with COVID-19.    “If someone were to die, respiratory failure
would also be listed on a death certificate as well as COVID-19. The
individual may have died from respiratory failure but it was COVID-19 that
was the underlying cause of death.”*

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news/coronavirus-in-tennessee-knox-county-reports-91-new-cases-no-new-deaths-on-tuesday/

-Dave