[ExI] A virologist speculates on the origin of CV-19

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:12:20 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 6:00 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> > *On Behalf Of *Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
>

> >…We took 3 furnace filters - the large rectangular panels that are at
> least a meter tall - and made a triangular prism box out of them plus some
> cardboard, and a fan at one end (the cardboard cut around the fan), sealed
> it all together with lots of duct tape, and let the fan run so as to blow
> air through the filters.  Not 24 hours later, the filters were already dark
> toward one end, suggesting they are indeed scrubbing a lot of particles….
>

> Adrian you are fun guy to have on a mailing list.  I just ordered a box of
> furnace filters.

The reason we did a triangle was because we ran across a 3-filters-for-$2
deal.  Apparently the usual way is to get a box fan and tape 2 filters onto
it - but enough people are doing that, that there is currently a shortage
of box fans.

Here is a (size-reduced, hopefully within this list's limits this time)
picture of the completed box.  You can see the black accumulating on the
very bottom - that's not just shadows.  (Again: just set up night before
last.)

[image: 20200916_080306.jpg]