[ExI] Quantum gravity

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:19:29 UTC 2020

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 6:57 PM Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat
>  >> On 2020-9-16 18:15, Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat wrote:
>  >>> relativistic mass-energy equivalence predicted nuclear forces
>  >>> account for the majority of the mass of an atom
>
>  > On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:15 AM Anton Sherwood wrote:
>  >> Majority? That doesn't seem right; then the relation of mass to
>  >> number of nucleons ought to be less linear than it is.
>
> On 2020-9-17 11:22, John Clark wrote:
>  > One AMU is defined as exactly 1/12 the mass of a carbon 12 nucleus
>  > which consists of six protons and six neutrons, but the mass of a free
>  > independent Proton that is not bound to anything else is 1.007276 AMU
>  > and for a Neutron it's 1.008665 AMU, and obviously 12 of those don't
>  > add up to exactly 12 AMUs.  [...]
>
> And I'm saying 0.008665 is not a majority of 1.

Right. I got that. You meant mass is roughly equal to the number of
nucleons -- almost linear. I don't see why others didn't get that. The
correction figure is measurable, but it's definitely not overwhelming,
which is what I took 'majority of the mass' to mean. (That is, I
thought Stuart was saying the mass isn't roughly equal to the number
of nucleons, that the relativistic correction would be much much
larger than it actually is.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: