[ExI] smoke 'em dano

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 18 22:42:38 UTC 2020

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

> On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 4:52 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

Every society has its silliness, and the USA is a powerfully-silly place.  Of all of them, the 60s were a most powerfully silly decade.  …

>>…I think humans are a powerfully-silly bunch of any age (of, at, whatever)…

>…We are!

Mike I am old enough to remember when college students had a sense of humor but little old church ladies did not.  I don’t know how those got switched around.

There was so much silliness in the USA, I would be willing to take on any nation in the world at Silly Olympics.  Probably Britain would take silver and perhaps Australia bronze, but it really isn’t fair because the USA has so many proles, and Australia not, so if we went by specific silliness, or silliness per capita, Australia would take gold, Britain again with the silver and USA bronze.  All three of those outfits value good silliness.

As I was writing about the 60s, I was reminded of a story the old guys told about Pistol Packin Mama.  In the 60s, the RV campers became all the rage.  Lockheed had a big parking lot out back where guys could park their RVs and junk cars they were going to fix up someday (secure, fenced area.)  Lots of trailers, cab-overs and Winnebagos were out there.

In those days, senior engineers often had secretaries, and that was before the days whem engineers were women and secretaries are men.  It was the other way around back then.  Well, the outcome is fairly predictable: guys would slip away during lunch, meet their girlfriends out in the RV area for a little Afternoon Delight (note capitalization intentional younger people and Australians (go ahead (look it up (it’s worth it.))))

One of the senior guys was doing that, and these friends of mine were humming Pistol Packin Mama, hoping he would get the message and knock it off, lest one day his wife (who also worked at Lockheed Sunnyvale) would show up with Mister Smith and Mister Wesson, which didn’t give them any particular heartburn so long as mama didn’t decided to eliminate the witnesses along with the offender.

One day he made arrangements, met his secretary out there for a tour of his RV, they went in and discovered pistol packin mama already there, going at it with another Lockheed engineer.