[ExI] Turmeric health claims fraudulent

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 18:12:59 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 4:54 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat
> I just wanted to pass on a bit of information that seems to be
> under-reported by the media. The supposed health benefits of turmeric
> are apparently a complete sham. The main proponent of the use of
> turmeric/curcumin as a health supplement was a biochemist at M.D.
> Anderson named Bharat B. Aggarwal. He has since had 28(!) of his
> research studies retracted for falsifying and reusing data. After
> years of trying to reproduce his research, drug companies have
> declared curcumin a false lead and they are not going to waste any
> more of their money on it.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat_Aggarwal

I'm not so sure I'd take the drug companies word for it, but what
about studies where he's not involved? Looking over a Life Extension
article from four years ago seems to cite only one study where he's
named -- and that's NOT in the retracted list, though I'd through it
given that he's tainted it -- from my quick check. Of course, there
might have been a ripple effect here: them citing or presuming his
work and relying too much of his data or conclusions.

Then again, maybe you phrased that wrong. It's not so much the drug
companies, but the overall research community that hasn't found any
good evidence for tumeric's supposed therapeutic powers. If you meant
that, then I'd agree. At best, there's some suggestive stuff -- from
my admittedly cursory review. At worst, it seems like a 'false lead'
as you say.

Regards,

Dan