[ExI] simulation stat goofiness

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 18:28:29 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 2:36 PM Will Steinberg via extropy-chat
> But still, as you keep going up simulation levels, at some point processing power must run out, right?  Unless each higher universe is successively larger and lengthier (...no laughing at that one!)

That might be, but I believe John's point was from inside the
simulation you couldn't tell... In the same way that say, running a
complicated smoke simulation model on one system that runs half as
fast as another (because of resources, processor speed, etc.) will
still give the same simulation and results as another just at a slower
speed from our perspective. But inside the model, step n follows step
n-1 regardless of whether that takes one millisecond or two, no? And
how from the inside would you know processing power was reaching its
limit? You might come up against a wall if you were running a
simulation -- adding more complexity into the simulation you're
presumably part of. But would that tell you you're in a maxxed out
simulation as opposed to telling you that your technology isn't
advanced enough (imagine running today's smoke simulation models on
1940s computers) or that there really are physical (non-simulation
ones) limits on what you can simulate?

Regards,

Dan