[ExI] simulation stat goofiness

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 19:07:35 UTC 2020

The assumption is that there are physical limits.  Here is why I'd assume
so:

Di lemma:

A) the simulator's universe is the same as ours

B) the simulator's universe allows for computation greater than ours

If A, eventually there will be a limit that we can conceive

if B, there has to be some reason the universe allows greater computation.

Staying on B, now apply the simulation argument to that universe, and use
the same dilemma.  That means the universe is either the same as theirs
(and will have a limit as each simulation includes trillions of simulations
which all include trillions of simulations &c.) or their simulator has a
universe which allows for more computation due to some reason.

I believe these reasons would be subject to some kind of laws of physics,
and could only accept infinite levels of simulation if the higher universes
were infinitely large or of infinite duration.  Which may be its own issue.

WHAT'S MORE, if those worlds are sufficiently large, it stands to reason
that there will be infinite intelligent civilizations in those universes.
So if the simulations run IN that universe mimic the simulations in the
above universe, those people would have a good chance at being one of those
civilizations before simulation is developed, and so no longer can be
applied Bostrom's trilemma in order to show they must be in a simulation.

In essence, even if your universe is finite, infinite sim levels would
appear to me to mean that at some point the master universe is infinite,
but this leads to the fact that if you are in a universe which would
require an eventual infinite universe of your master, then you are just as
likely to be a regular, physical civilization in that universe as you are a
simulation in one of the levels (because that universe is literally
infinite).

Therefore repeatedly applying the simulation argument with SOME sort of
laws of physics in every universe leads to a contradiction.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 2:29 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <