[ExI] Seattle's defund the police plan: Minor changes

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 19:54:39 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 7:29 PM Dave Sill via extropy-chat
> I'm sure some people want 100% defunding/abolition of police, I think they're a
> tiny minority. I think most people just want reform: end qualified immunity, end
> civil asset forfeiture, break up police unions that prevent firing/disciplining cops,
> demilitarize police, dramatically reduce the number of citizens killed and injured
> by police, etc.
>
> If Camden's ground-up rebuild works, that's great. Fiddling with budgets like that's going to fix things is silly.

I'm not saying the abolition of police -- which I'd distinguish from
defunding -- is anything but a minority and a tiny minority position
at that.

I believe most people don't know what they want and will settle for
cosmetic reforms here. (I'm not saying I agree with most people --
just reporting what I believe here.) This is shown by the recent
defeat of an attempt to end qualified immunity in Virginia. The
Democratic controlled legislature backed away from ending it. Of
course, from factions that don't want defunding and stand against
reform, any change appears like the end of the world.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst