[ExI] anger

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 20:51:16 UTC 2020

I think frustration works better than anger for motivation.  Anger too
often leads to irrational thoughts and actions.  Certainly harming my
family would make me angry, which might then lead to retaliation and even
shooting someone. I have thought very seriously about killing a couple of
doctors. That's why we have cops and courts.  You CAN be angry without
acting recklessly - it's just difficult for some people, me included.  My
wife dealt with ATand T.  I knew what I would do: start screaming at the
person in customer service.

Twenty years ago a man appeared at my door - a next door neighbor whom I
had not met.  Very large person - angry.  Told me that if my dogs did not
stay out of my garden he would shoot them.  Whereupon I told him that if he
did that I would burn his house down.  I was pretty steamed.  He backed off
immediately and left.  (Thanks to him for not bending me into a pretzel).
Ten minutes later a deputy sheriff showed up and we had a talk.  I told him
that I should not have said that; that I would never do that; that I would
pay for his damage, and so on.  Could I have handled that better in the
first place?  Of course.  But see what anger did.  It took a rather
intelligent, rational person - me - and reduced him to petty threats.  I
vowed never to react that way again, though it might be a hard promise to
keep if someone harms any of my family, including my pets.

I have had to work on my temper all my life.  Those whose angers are not as
strong as mine might find them easier to control.  I am quick on the
trigger.

Anger does have its good points.  But the negative ones far outweigh the
positives, for me.

bill w

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 2:47 PM Dave Sill via extropy-chat <