[ExI] Feuds and Humour (was Re: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 204, Issue 66)

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Sep 25 07:35:57 UTC 2020

On 25/09/2020 02:03, Bill W wrote:
> So I get this message because of omitting the word 'and'?  Anyway, I
> was not suggesting that feuds and such were more common between
> certain groups, but this is just a common, human behavior fueled by
> anger.   bill w
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 2:55 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 23/09/2020 20:28, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
>     > Act out your anger and what does it get you?  For some it has
>     produced
>     > feuds lasting hundreds of years between Scottish clans. Look at the
>     > Arabs and Jews.
>
>     Well, bill w. You learn something new every day. I never realised
>     that
>     the Arabs and Jews were Scottish clans. Thanks for this enlightening
>     tidbit :-D :-D.
>
>     --
>     Ben Zaiboc

Sorry, just my sense of humour. Don't get angry at me! :-)

Also sorry (to everyone) for forgetting to use the proper subject line
(now changed, because I'm not talking about anger here).

Interesting idea, though, that you weren't suggesting. Is there any
evidence that feuds etc. /are/ more common between (or within) certain
groups? I suspect that there will be, even just for cultural reasons.
I'd expect that the apparently universal conservative/liberal split
would show a difference here, with the more conservative people being
more likely to hold a grudge, and the more liberal folks more likely to
forgive?

Actually, another interesting thing is the differences in people's sense
of humour. Some people laugh at themselves when they accidentally walk
into a lamppost, some get annoyed instead. I'm one of the former. In
fact, I'd say I'm someone who seeks out opportunities to see the funny
side of things (hence the original comment about Arabs & Jews being
scottish). No malice or criticism involved, just humour. It can cause
misunderstandings, though. Which can themselves be funny. To some.

But I know people who think that Monty Python isn't the least bit funny.
To me, that's incomprehensible. So I wonder if humour is also correlated
with particular groups of people, or perhaps genetic factors? (Don't
believe the myth about Germans having no sense of humour, though. The
joke "According to Freud, what comes between fear and sex? ... funf!"
cracks them up (fier, funf, sechs is German for four, five six, for
those ignorant of any German (no, I don't subscribe to the idea that
explaining any joke always ruins it))).

--
Ben Zaiboc