[ExI] cog bias again

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 25 19:35:25 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 11:54 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] cog bias again

Doctor, do I need to check in at the asylum?  Or am I safe to leave out on the street?  Are there medications for LIGO/Sturgis Syndrome?

spike

Prepare a very large pot of chicken broth, good for what ails you, ya know, and let it cool down some, then stick your head in it repeatedly until all dissonance is gone, approximately three years…

Tried that, didn’t work.  I did make quite a mess and looked silly, so I gave up that therapy.

 >…Does anyone know if viruses are susceptible to sunlight?  UV gets through clouds, as we know.  Perhaps it kills enough of the virus so that if it is inhaled it's not strong enough to battle with the immune system…

I am reaching for all kinds of explanations like that: the virus was weakened by UV, inhaled, created a kind of partial vaccine-effect where proles’ immune systems were alerted but the virus didn’t arrive full strength as it would in an indoor infection.

>…Just how much testing of the Sturgis people was done?

We don’t really know which is part of what makes this a crazy-difficult puzzle.

>…If my idea is right, then we ought to find a lot of cases of infection but few people with symptoms.

Ja, very plausible.  The extra sunlight somehow temporarily boosted immune systems, causing them to catch but be asymptomatic.

The LIGO case is too far out for me.    bill w

No way Jose!  You are closer to the actual instrument than most of us here: three hour ride down Interstate 55 to Livingston Louisiana.  I would go there just hoping to watch it vibrate, even knowing that I couldn’t see it vibrate.  I would go there just to walk on sacred holy ground.  This place is the scientists’ version of the invisible guy in Hawaii: we built these big expensive things to look at some mysterious invisible waves from ancient times, we insist they are real and they compel us to do silly things like drive three hours to look at an enormous pipe.